How to Prepare Your Car For Winter: Tips and Tricks
Everyone wants their car to run well, but in the cold winter months, breakdowns can be especially dangerous. Taking some proactive steps to winterize your Kia vehicle can prevent unfortunate breakdowns and make sure you stay safe and warm this winter in Chardon.
Pack An Emergency Kit
While no one wants to end up stranded on the side of the road in Middlefield, sometimes the unexpected happens. Having an emergency kit is packed is always a good idea, but when the temperatures drop it can be a lifesaver. When packing your winter emergency kit make sure you include:
- Warm blankets
- Extra clothing, hats, and gloves to cover all your regular vehicle occupants.
- Non-perishable snacks
- Road flares
- Phone charger
- Portable radio
- Gas can
- Ice scraper
- Bag of cat litter or sand to help with traction
- First aid kit
Winterize Your Vehicle
- Replace old wipers and make sure that your windshield wiper fluid is design for winter to combat the elements.
- Cold weather puts an additional strain on your car battery, so getting it checked before the weather gets bad ensures it is ready for the extra work.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated and have enough tread to deal with the slick winter roadways. Check your tire tread by inserting a penny in the tire tread with the top of Lincoln’s head facing in toward the tire. If you can see the President’s whole head, you need new tires.
- Prevent engine issues this winter by topping off vital fluids like your antifreeze and coolant.
- When oil gets cold, it can get thicker and less effective at its job. Replacing your oil with a winter-specific oil helps counteract that issue.
- Before the temperatures drop too low, make sure your heater is working properly so you can stay warm during a long drive.
Get Your Car Ready for Winter at Preston Kia
Have more questions about winterizing your vehicle? Our service center team is here to guide you. If you would rather leave the work to the professionals, schedule a service appointment with at our Preston Kia service center. You can even learn more about vehicle maintenance including ow to change a car tire. We offer an array of service specials to keep your car running on a budget in Burton!